Our background music service provider says they pay for all copyright licenses. Why would I need a SESAC license?

Most background music service providers are licensed with SESAC. However, their SESAC license only extends to the music they supply to establishments with no admission, membership or similar charge.

The performance of a SESAC-represented song, in either a live performance or a recorded performance (e.g. via radio, records, tapes, CDs, DVDs, MP3s, large screens or televisions, internet streaming or personal computer) needs to be licensed, either directly by the songwriter/publisher, or via a SESAC Performance License. To determine if your background music service provider is properly licensed with SESAC, please log in to your account at sesac.com to submit your inquiry. If you need to obtain a license for your business, click here.


To Keep Up With the Latest From SESAC, Subscribe Today

Report An Unlicensed Establishment