Do I have to pay for music licenses when I have already paid for the DJ, band or purchased the records, discs or tapes to be played in my establishment?

US Copyright law states that the owner or operator of the establishment where the music is being played is responsible for obtaining the required authorization. The compensation you provide to a performer such as a DJ or band does not relieve you of this obligation.

When you purchase a record, tape, compact disc, DVD or similar product you are granted the authorization for a non-public performance, such as in your home or car. There is no public performance right attached to the sale of these products and if you decide to play this music in your establishment you are required to obtain authorization from the copyright owner or their representative.


To Keep Up With the Latest From SESAC, Subscribe Today

Report An Unlicensed Establishment