If others perform music in my place of business, can I, the owner/operator, still be held liable for copyright infringement?

Yes. The Copyright Law of the United States, and subsequent case law, clearly states that the owner or operator of an establishment where music is publicly performed is required to obtain advanced authorization for the performance of copyrighted music on the premises. Paying the band does not cover you for that; your business must have authorization, such as that granted by the SESAC license, to play music publicly.


To Keep Up With the Latest From SESAC, Subscribe Today

Report An Unlicensed Establishment